The motto of The Stoop Storytelling Series is “Everyone has a story.” The Stoop storytelling workshops are the practical embodiment of that motto.
Stoop co-producer Laura Wexler, an expert on true, personal storytelling, regularly presents workshops to:
- nonprofit organizations
- educational and medical institutions
- academic and professional conferences
- training institutes
- corporations and businesses
The standard storytelling workshop, Stoop Storytelling 101, is a half-day immersive and interactive experience in which participants discover the evidence-based power of stories as a universal tool of communication, and gain skills and confidence in enacting the principles of true, personal storytelling.
The Stoop storytelling curriculum is based on Laura’s experience coaching nearly 2,000 people to tell their true, personal tales since co-founding The Stoop in 2006; her experience teaching memoir-writing at the collegiate and graduate level; and her ongoing research into the neuroscience of narrative.
Laura customizes each workshop to fulfill the hosting organization’s mission, supporting participants to utilize the true, personal storytelling to:
- educate the public
- advocate for a cause
- elucidate complex issues
- fund- or friend-raise
- tell engaging institutional stories
- jump-start the creation of a storytelling culture
Laura also presents full-day intensive storytelling workshops, keynote lectures, and train-the-trainers sessions in which she empowers leaders, teachers, and organizational staff to support their clients and students to tell their true, personal tales.
Recent clients include:
- Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Price Waterhouse Cooper
- National Public Housing Museum
- Entrepreneurs Organization
- Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
- Morgan State University ASCEND program
- Johns Hopkins Center for Humanitarian Health
- Community College of Baltimore
- Maryland Food Bank
- Violence Prevention Program, Shock Trauma, UMMC
- Juvenile Justice Youth Coalition, Community Law in Action
- The Sondheim Scholars Program, UMBC
- St. Ambrose Housing Coalition
- University System of Maryland
- T. Rowe Price
- Open Society Institute-Baltimore
- The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Anne Arundel Community College
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
- Elijah Cummings Youth Project
- Baltimore Jewish Council
- Baltimore Lab School
“For two years in a row, Laura Wexler has led a storytelling workshop for a program called “120 Under 40: The New Generation of Family Planning Leaders,” which brings a group of young, up-and-coming leaders in family planning/reproductive health from all over the world to the United States for a week of trainings and special events. Laura’s experience and genuine passion for personal storytelling comes through in every element as she expertly coaches these young people to share and shape their stories into compelling narratives.” — Marianne Amoss, Project Lead, 120 Under 40: The New Generation of Family Planning Leaders, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Laura also offers story coaching for individuals, both in-person and online.
If you’d like information on storytelling workshops or story coaching, please email Laura.